Affirmations For Positive Thinking

If you are sick and tired of the negative self talk, it's time to change that. Replace your negative thought patterns with positive affirmations. The best way to employ this technique is to first single out the negative thoughts.

Write down every negative thought you have on index cards, using one card per thought. Don't stop at ten or twenty. Keep writing until you have every negative thought down on paper.

Now take your stack of cards and read each one. As you read them, think about why you have this thought. You have to get to the core of each negative thought. If you'd like, jot down notes below each negative thought for answers to the following questions:

o What triggers this negative thought?

o Where/who does this negative thought come from?

o Is it something you were once told by a relative, friend or associate?

Now that you've thought about this, it's time to start creating your affirmations for positive thinking. WordWeb defines an affirmation as, "The act of affirming or asserting or stating something." Keeping this in mind, let's begin.

Take your first index card in hand. Read the negative thought and consider your notes/memories regarding this thought. Now, flip the card over and write a rebuttal, in the form of a positive affirmation.

For example: One of my negative thought cards reads, "I don't deserve anything good to happen to me." This thought stems from my past, in which I was verbally abused. My positive affirmation on the back of the card now reads, "I am worthy to receive every good gift from my Father. Jesus loves and bestows gifts upon His children and I am His child."

Continue in this manner until you have a stack of positive affirmations. If you want to, you can rewrite each positive affirmation on a new stack of index cards. Some people choose to eliminate the negative thoughts altogether by writing their positive affirmations on new ones. I like to write my positive affirmations on the same card, flip-side, so I can reflect on the shifts in my attitude.

Your positive affirmation cards should be used like medicine--frequent, healthy doses when "sick" and regular doses when "well" for maintenance.

Hope Wilbanks is an inspirational author who writes to motivate, inspire and encourage women. Her first non-fiction book, The Self-Empowered Woman will be published early 2007.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Hope_Wilbanks